Yesterday, Senator Corey Booker (D-NJ) has introduced one of the most comprehensive pieces of marijuana reform legislation ever to be put up for debate, the Marijuana Justice Act of 2017.
The bill would:
(1) remove marijuana from the US Controlled Substances Act, thereby ending the federal criminalization of cannabis;
(2) incentivize states to mitigate existing and ongoing racial disparities in state-level marijuana arrests;
(3) expunge federal convictions specific to marijuana possession;
(4) allow individuals currently serving time in federal prison for marijuana-related violations to petition the court for resentencing;
(5) create a community reinvestment fund to invest in communities most impacted by the failed War on Drugs.